BayesiaLab Webinar Series
Diagnostic Decision Support with Bayesian Networks
Recorded on February 9, 2018.
- Presentation Slides (PDF, 29.5 MB)
- BayesiaLab Network File (XBL, 26 KB)
- Dataset (CSV, 55 KB)
- Node Comments (TXT, 1 KB)
- Node Classes (TXT, 2 KB)
In this webinar, we will illustrate how Bayesian networks can serve as a practical tool for optimizing the sequence of diagnostic steps with the objective of arriving at a medical diagnosis in a quick and cost-efficient manner. Bayesian networks allow us to precisely quantify the amount of information contributed from each to-be-observed variable, such as risk factors and symptoms. This capability is one of the key points whereby machine-learned Bayesian networks distinguish themselves from other predictive models, e.g. neural networks.
We will utilize the dataset published by Dr. Zahra Alizadeh Sani on Coronary Artery Disease to demonstrate a complete research workflow, from importing the raw data all the way through publishing a final model with a web interface.
Workflow with the BayesiaLab Software Platform:
- Data Import into BayesiaLab.
- Discretization of continuous variables.
- Definition of variable classes.
- Supervised Learning using the Markov Blanket and Augmented Markov Blanket algorithms.
- Structural Coefficient Analysis for Bayesian network model optimization.
- Network Performance Analysis with regard to one or multiple Target Nodes (Stenosis of LAD, LCX, or RCA).
- Introduction to information-theoretic concepts, such as Entropy and Mutual Information.
- 2D Mapping to illustrate Mutual Information between variables and Target Nodes.
- Computation of an interactive and dynamic Adaptive Questionnaire for optimized evidence-seeking with regard to the diagnosis.
- Introduction of the cost of diagnostic procedures for optimization, i.e., trading off the cost of information gain vs. the expected reduction of uncertainty.
- Computation of Target Interpretation Tree as a static decision support tool.
- Publication of the Adaptive Questionnaire to the BayesiaLab WebSimulator as a decision support tool for external users.
Upcoming Seminars, Webinars, and Conferences
|Live Webinar||August 17,
||1–2 p.m. (CDT, UTC-5)||Building a Technical Fault Diagnosis System with BayesiaLab|
|BayesiaLab Exhibition at the
2018 Intelligence & National Security Summit
National Harbor, MD
|September 4–5, 2018||BayesiaLab & Virtual Reality Demo at Booth #174|
|Seminar in Arlington, VA||September 11,
||2–5 p.m. (EDT, UTC-4)||Bayesian Networks for Intelligence Analysis & Adversarial Reasoning|
|Live Webinar||September 21,
||1–2 p.m. (CDT, UTC-5)||Adversarial Reasoning with Bayesian Networks|
|Please check out our archive of recordings of previous events.|